There are a lot of half Irish people in my life: my brother, his wife, my boyfriend… So, I feel a kinship with the Irish culture and its delicacies. One of my favorite treats is Irish soda bread, which I haven’t been able to eat in years… until today. 🙂
Believe it or not, making Irish soda bread vegan is not that difficult. Traditional Irish soda bread contains butter and buttermilk, but, as seasoned vegans, Jill and I know how to work around these animal products in our baking. We’ve come a long way with vegan butter, and buttermilk can be accomplished by adding a dash of vinegar to almond milk! I know… strange, but I tell you, it works!
Here’s our recipe (adapted from the non-vegan Epicurious recipe)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons vegan shortening, chilled, cut into cubes (we like Earth Balance sticks)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Measure out almond milk and add apple cider vinegar. Stir, and set aside to curdle.
- Whisk flour, 5 tablespoons sugar (this was an accident. It was only supposed to be 4, but it tastes great sweet! If you’re more of a savory person, I’d leave it at 4.), baking powder, salt, and baking soda in large bowl to blend.
- Add raisins, and toss again to coat.
- Add shortening. Using a dough blender, blend together until flour looks pebbly.
- Dump flour onto a cutting board or countertop.
- Make well in center of flour mixture. Gradually add almond milk. Using hands, mix dry ingredients into milk to blend being careful not over-work the dough.
- Using floured hands, shape dough into ball. Transfer to prepared pan and flatten slightly.
- Sprinkle dough with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake bread about 40 minutes, until brown and it passes the toothpick test (when inserted into center comes out clean).
- Cool bread in pan 10 minutes.
- Transfer to rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Lydia + Jillian