Sometimes you have a bunch of random ingredients in your refrigerator, and you need to make sense of them. For me, this is a regular occurrence. I’m 27 years old, and I still haven’t been able to go on a successful grocery shopping mission. I usually end up buying a bunch of random plants and vegan goodies and just count on myself to make some sort of edible thing out of them later.
This is one of those random recipes where I used a bunch of random things in my fridge, and it turned out to be pretty awesome!
ALL THE THINGS POTATO PANCAKES
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 cup green onion
- 2 Field Roast sausages (or any other vegan protein)
- 3 cloves garlic (or less depending on your taste)
- 1 tsp salt (I used Kala Namak salt. It gives a nice hint of eggy flavor)
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 vegan eggs (we used Neat Egg)
- Shred the potatoes (to keep them from turning pink from oxidization, toss the shreds in vinegar every so often)
- Chop the rest of the ingredients as finely as possible.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make the vegan eggs as instructed on the packaging.
- In a pan, make a rue using the flour and vegan eggs.
- Pour rue into the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Scoop out a large handful of the potato mixture and pat it into a patty.
- Using either the same pan or a griddle, coat the bottom with olive oil and pan fry both sides.
- Enjoy with a little hot sauce or Lydia’s famous (it will be!) Jalapeño Pineapple Chutney. The recipe is simple:
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 full pineapple
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar.
- Chop jalapeños (leave in some seeds for extra heat if you want) and pineapple, throw all ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil, then put on low heat for about 30 minutes. Let cool in the fridge! If you want to make it into a jam add a little bit of pectin (see directions on the box).
Live long, my dear friends!